Cambridge Future Tech is a venture builder for Deep Tech start-ups. We work with extraordinary talent from source to turn fantastic inventions into commercially successful ventures, facilitating the next generation of Deep Tech innovation.
CFT works with technical founders where there is deep expertise in technology but a need for commercial excellence and experience. We work across Digital (AI/Data), Physical Sciences (Materials, Computing, Quantum and Industry 4.0), and more.
We are always looking for ambitious people with extensive commercial experience and a passion for technology to join our pool of potential Launch CEOs.
As the Launch CEO you will lead the commercialisation of bleeding edge technology within a new company. You will work with CFT and the technical founders through the spin out and incorporation process, before growing your venture from day one to post-series funding and beyond. You will provide leadership, management, and commercial momentum in the first, crucial years of a Deep Tech start-up.
The Launch CEO works closely with the CFT Team. You will oversee and deliver across a variety of complex areas including the fundraising and go-to-market strategy, product roadmap, and business model. You will work very closely with the technical founders throughout. The role is highly independent, while at the same time very well supported by the CFT team.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Being the public champion for the business
- Defining the overall business strategy from launch to scale
- Supporting technical progress and delivering the product road map
- Building company value
- Attracting, retaining, and developing world-class talent
- Managing day-to-day operations
- Owning the operational budget and managing burn rate
- Managing competition and threats in the marketplace
- Providing expert guidance to all business functions
- Reporting updates to the Board of Directors and corporate stakeholders
- Building strategic partnerships and relationships to drive growth
- Managing the venture’s customer, scientific and business advisory boards
Ideal Candidate Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or above in business or STEM (or equivalent experience)
- Full-cycle start-up experience in a key leadership role
- >2yrs experience as a leader in an operational, managerial or sales role
- P&L responsibilities at CEO or similar level
- Fundraising experience in a corporate or start-up environment
- Experience managing investors and/or corporate stakeholders
- Experience building high performing teams
- Industry experience relevant to the venture under consideration
The individual will be working in a fast-changing environment with an inherently fluid product and therefore will need to display the following attributes:
- Resilience under pressure
- Ease building relationships
- Rapport with professional and technical contacts
- Creativity and an innovative approach to problem solving
- An understanding of start-up processes, including regulatory and legal constraints
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- An ability to understand, simplify and communicate complicated technical ideas
As a Launch CEO within a venture builder you will be closely supported by the Cambridge Future Tech team and your peer group across the Cambridge Future Tech portfolio.
Should you feel your experience is not perfect for what we are looking for, but you remain interested, please still get in touch. Cambridge Future Tech is always looking for people who can get involved with and add value to our ventures.
If you would like to work with some of the UK’s most exciting Deep Tech start-ups please get in touch!